Business Start-Up Guide
Starting a business? Start here. The Canada Business Ontario is a source of business information – everything from choosing a name, to business structure, to regulations and much more.
Many people think of business plans as a tool to obtain financing and it is so much more than that. It is for you ““ it helps you to clarify whether your business idea is feasible and worth your investment of money and time. A plan enables you to review your value proposition, marketing assumptions, operational plan, revenue streams and costs.
To assist you with how to write a business plan and to access templates and sample business plans visit Business Plan video
Canada Ontario Business is a source of business information including how to write a business plan, business plan template and sample plans. Read more about business planning.
The Business Model Canvas is a one page strategic management and entrepreneurial tool that allows you to describe, design, challenge, invent and pivot your business model.
The Business Development of Canada (BDC) have a variety of articles and tools available, including business plan templates. Learn more about business strategy and planning.
Futurprenuer is a national non-profit organization that provides financing, mentoring and support tools to aspiring business owners aged 18-39. Their “How tos and Templates” includes a business writer tool and a crash course on writing a business plan.
How to Start a”Guides
There are licenses, permits and registration requirements specific to different types of businesses. The Canada Ontario Business site’s How to Start a… guides provide an overview for a number of business types.
Food and Beverage
The Frontenac CFDC has placed special emphasis on the attraction and growth of small scale (artisanal) food and beverage businesses in the region. We offer business counselling, business promotion, loans and the Food and Beverage (FAB) Region initiative. We are able to draw on resources from the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) and St. Lawrence College’s Culinary Program and Research and network of entrepreneurs.
The Food and Beverage (FAB) Region is an investment marketing partnership and the partners include the Frontenac Community Futures Development Corporation and the Counties of Hastings, Prince Edward, and Lennox and Addington. The initiative started in 2010 as “Invest in Cheese” when the partners identified an opportunity to build on our rich history of cheese producers, and support the cow, water buffalo and goat milk producers and the growing wine and agri-tourism industry to attract artisan cheesemakers to the region. We rebranded ourselves as Ontario’s Food and Beverage (FAB) Region and in late 2013, strategically focused on craft brewing based on both the region’s agricultural and tourism strengths and growth in the sector and created the iCraft Brew App on how to start a craft brewery.
How to Guides ““ The Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMARA) has a number of “business bundles” on how to start various agricultural and food/beverage businesses.
- Beyond Production Agriculture
- Construct or Renovate Farm Structures
- Food and Beverage Processing
- Starting a Farm in Ontario
- Urban Agriculture
- Green Energy
- Value Chains
Government Programs and Services
- Federal Development of Southern Ontario – is a government agency that works with southern Ontario’s communities, businesses and not-for-profits to address regional and global economic challenges. The deliver a number of programs to help create, retain and grow businesses.
- National Research Council of Canada – is the Government of Canada’s premier organization for research and development.
- Canada Business Ontario – is part of the Canada Business Network, a source for information on government services for business ““ from start-up, financing, growth to regulatory compliance.
- Canada Small Business Financing Program – has been helping small businesses with their financing needs for over 50 years. Under the program, the Government of Canada makes it easier for small businesses to get loans from financial institutions by sharing the risk with lenders.
- Ministry of Economic Development, Employment and Infrastructure – delivers a range of programs, services and tools to help businesses innovate and compete in today’s fast-changing global economy, including business support and youth entrepreneurship programs, strategic investments and international trade and export expertise.
- Eastern Ontario Development Fund – is a Provincial fund that gives money to businesses, municipalities and not-for-profit organizations for economic development in eastern Ontario.
- Ontario Network of Entrepreneurs – Ontario consultants can help you prepare, launch and grow your business.
- ONe Source for Business – this Government of Ontario site will help guide you to the government services, forms and information you need to start, operate and grow your business or not-for-profit organization
- Ontario Ministry of Agriculture Food and Rural Affairs – delivers a range of programs and services for the agriculture and food sectors and rural affairs. They also provide information on food safety, livestock, crops and environment.
- Ontario Attractions Cultural Fund – aims to increase cultural tourism by providing investments to assist Ontario organizations.
- Contact North – assess more than 18,000 courses offered online y Ontario’s public colleges and universities.
- County of Frontenac
- County of Frontenac maps
- Township of Frontenac Islands
- Township of South Frontenac
- Township of Central Frontenac
- Township of North Frontenac
Sources of Financing and Funding
- Agricultural Adaptation Council – administers government funding to help you build your agribusiness ideas.
- Business Development Bank of Canada – is a financial institution owned by the Government of Canada that offers business loans and consulting services to help Canadian business grow.
- Canada Venture Capital Association – is the voice of Canada’s venture capital and private equity industry.
- Futurpreneur Canada – is a national, non-profit organization that provides financing, mentoring and support tools to aspiring business owners aged 18-39.
- Imagine Canada – A national program to promote public and corporate giving, volunteering and support to the community.
- Ontario Trillium Foundation – is an agency of the Government of Ontario, and Canada’s largest granting foundation. Over $110 million is awarded annually to some 1,000 non-profit and charitable organizations across the province.
- The Community Foundation for Kingston and Area – is an independent, volunteer-driven, charitable organization that aims to strengthen its community by facilitating philanthropy. They also offer a loan program.
- The Funding Portal – headquartered in Toronto, is Canada’s bilingual one-window gateway to improve access to 11,000 sources of government funding and private financing.
- Funding Opportunities for Physical Activities, Nutrient & Environmental Initiatives as complied by Heart & Stroke Spark
- KFL&A Community Data Base – is a fabulous resource to search for organizations, associations and services in the region.
- Frontenac Arch Biosphere – as designated by UNESCO, offers a suite of program.
- Land O’Lakes Tourism Association – is a membership driven organization that promotes tourism to the area.
- Launch Lab – is a one-stop shop for technology based start-ups and growing companies helping you find the resources you need to grow your business.
- Ontario East Economic Development Commission – promotes Eastern Ontario as a centre for investment.
- Ontario Highlands – is one of the Province’s 13 regional tourism organizations created to attract more visitors, generate more economic activity, and create more jobs across the province.
- The Great Waterway – is one of the Province’s 13 regional tourism organizations created to attract more visitors, generate more economic activity, and create more jobs across the province.
- Wintergreen Studios – is a year-round educations and retreat centre in the Frontenac Arch Biosphere